Friday, April 27, 2012

Quicky 4/26/12

Got behind on my posts, look-at-blogs time, and arting. I've been dealing with horrible congestion in my chest (hacking violently, can't breathe sometimes, sore throat, etc.). I may need to go to the doctor in the morning and get a script for a decongestant. I guess the end-of-term time and the Foxy scare tore down my immune system's defenses, because holy crap. (Concerning Foxy: she seems to be doing better. She's much chipper, can walk somewhat normally, and is eating again. She even sang today. I know she won't be around too much longer due to age, but I didn't realize just how unready I was to let her go until she fell ill. Grimmy got an "earful" that day, honestly.)

I hate that this crap keeps happening because it looks as if I'm making excuses and being lazy. ._.;

I guess it's a good thing that I didn't plan on walking in the official graduation ceremony tomorrow anyway. >.> But I do feel guilty since some family members have called to ask when they should be in the arena. I seem to have the family whose members don't see each other often but will come to big events anyway. Meh, I honestly just didn't want them to be bored because believe me, it's gonna be boring. Lots of peeps are graduating. Sooooooooo bor-zzzzzzzz. Yet Mum insisted on sending out those announcements. I feel as if I'm letting people down when they're told that I'm not walking. ): It feels like a gift grab, which is god awful.

I'm rambling. Hopefully I'll get better and can post the newer "goddess" WIP soon, along with the other stuff that I said I would post.

*pops cough drop*

Oh, and we got our portfolio feedback from the faculty. We all had good and bad critiques. (I was quite flattered that one said he wanted a copy if I published a book of my goddesses)
The only critique that got under my skin was how one professor asked if I could add more of "myself" or "more" into the goddesses, rather than just have them be outright illustrations of their stories. I thought that I had explained the symbolism and other influences I put into those things during the presentation, since not all are just straight illustrations. Some are, but all aren't. (To me, anyway) It makes me feel as if that professor wasn't listening, which isn't hard to believe because after my part, I sat in the back and could observe everyone, and some profs weren't even paying full attention to the students who went after me. Just UGH, and I especially didn't like it because they did so to Danielle who is one of the most talented people in our group and is quite humble about it. (And she took excellent photos of other people's work since Prof. Louise was a stickler about having nice photos. Danielle didn't ask for any sort of payment for doing so, and AGH. It just pissed me off that she seemed to get the short end of the stick since she went last.)

Sorry, rambling again. >.> Ah well, the situation just made me want to draw more toothed vaginas (chewing on certain people's heads and body parts).

3 comments:

  1. Don't worry so much! I'm really behind on messages, arts, and what not, too (then again, I've been chewing myself out for it.) And it does sound like stress catching up to you. Make sure you get plenty of rest now that you have a break! And I'm glad Foxy's doing well! <3

    I didn't walk at my graduation either (high school or college.) I don't think anyone was really worried about attending anyway? So that made it easier on me. Avoided a lot of anxiety and stress and extra money.

    I'm looking forward to your music post and new goddesses! If I can stop being lazy, I might scan in some sketches. Or Wednesday... 8D

    I'm going to give my thoughts about critique: if someone HAS to give give good and bad points about something (because it's a rule of workshop or it's their job as professor) and they just don't understand or get something, the critiques are going to come off half-assed and not make much sense. They don't really have an opinion, so they have to grab for something. It's like when a child asks their parent, "Why?" And the child is just given a placating answer that doesn't satisfy.

    It's rude if some professors weren't paying attention, but maybe they were taking notes? Or thinking? It's frustrating to me, feeling like I'm not being listened to (aside from loss, it's one of the worst feelings), but the professors are human and a lesson of what critics in real life will be like. Though, it's kinda their job to pay attention and give actual advice...

    (You're so lucky to have had a generous classmate like that! I'm lucky I had a good scanner, otherwise the people recommended to "shoot" the artworks would have cost over twenty dollars. And then because everything kept changing, that could have easily risen to fifty dollars by the time the final selection of artworks was decided on. Ugh. I know photographers need money, too, but I didn't want to pay money I didn't have for a job I thought I could do myself. Though there was a shooting range in town that probably would have shot my artwork for free.)

    Bah, you're not alone. When I'm in stressful situations, I want to draw it out of me, too (hence some sketches that should be posted next week or the next after that.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least I'm getting better. 8D Mum says I still sound awful though.
      How do you and I ever get anything done? :P Always behind and procrastinating.
      Yeah, Foxy's fine. Annoying again, but fine. >.>

      Your parents didn't demand that you attend at least one grad ceremony? Lucky. :P Did you have a private party?

      I'll post all of that soon. At some point. Soooooon. Oh, look! Bunny! *runs off* Seriously though, it's coming; it's just slow.
      No! You scan now! NOW!

      Oh, yes. Some people did receive "half-assed" critiques. There were some complaints from students who said they didn't even receive many critiques because some profs left halfway through the day, before those students presented. I felt bad for them. D: (mainly the the two ceramics students and one photo major. All had such nice work. Shame it was missed by many)
      I understand that the profs don't understand all areas of art, but try a bit, eh? One of the Ceramics profs did try to be thorough for everyone, which was nice.

      They may have been taking notes, but I think some had phones out. 8D Not often, but AGH. Or they were looking elsewhere.
      I can handle when critics ignore artists "out there," but in a controlled environment where they should pay attention, it's awful.

      I'll post links to Danielle's work when I get that "Stuff" post up. 8D It'll be a small thank-you for dealing with my crap.
      I scanned in eight of the goddesses and it was a bitch to do. Lots of cutting and pasting in order to get everything in (didn't work on some). I need that scanner you had for those unicorn paintings. Are you going to do more of those unicorns? Like a...COMIC? 8D

      You get scanning!

      Delete
    2. I'm glad! <333 I hope your mom is just teasing you. Sounds like how my parents would tease me. "You sound awful all the time~" XD

      I don't remember a party (our family will have the random cake or pizza... if that happened relatively close to the graduation, does that make it a party?) But I did go to Chuck E Cheese with a print-out of my grades and GPA after I graduated university... they really gave me free tokens! :D (But CEC isn't that fun during the early afternoon. Lots of grannies and their toddler-preschool grandchildren. It felt kind of awkward, sticking out like that, but I still enjoyed playing some of the arcade games while trying not to accidentally step on people smaller than myself. Another thing I'm not used to. XDD)

      Well, I scanned! 8D Not as much as I would have liked, but I guess that will come later. XD I'm anxious because I know I have to hurry up and post stuff since I never know when my computer is going to have another issue... every time I turn it on it seems to have a new issue (like today the wireless icon doesn't show up in the taskbar and Blogger has an error whenever I click on a blog from my Dashboard. :\ ) *crosses fingers- please battery, wireless, and data be safe, hold on as long as you can*

      If those professors didn't have something super important to do (like a scheduled meeting or class or something), then that's pretty rude that they left before everyone presented. I guess some teachers lose interest after the students they know are done. The Ceramics professor sounds awesome though. I hope they get recognized for their professional behavior.

      Yeah, when someone is ignoring a person in a situation where the attention should be focused on the person, then the ignoring seems more aggressive. :(

      The scanner I have is "out of print"... it's from the mid-2000's and hard to find. It was cheap when I got it (only about 40 dollars on sale) and its design was really neat for a non-commericial scanner. But I can't find another one like it on the market, which sucks, because once I leave Windows XP behind when I'm inevitably forced to upgrade, I'll no longer be able to use it. :( But my dad found a neat scanner by Epson that comes with "piece-together" software (like mine comes with.) It's just the size would be limited due to the lid and non-portability. 16" x 20" would probably be fine, but you wouldn't be able to get away with a four foot long painting like the Unicorns. D:

      I do have a comic plan for the purple-haired mermaid, but it's not going to resemble the Mermayds vs. Unicorns series. Unicorns will still be the enemies, but things will be... different. You'll have to wait and see. I'll try to have sketches next week showing the general direction. 8D

      Delete