Friday, March 30, 2012

The Hunger Games Movie- A Brief Re(Over)view

I saw the movie on Wednesday afternoon. Here are a few things I want to say about it (so thrilling, huh?). But first, a warning:
(because Alex Kingston is beautiful)

Overall, I thought it was a good adaptation. It left out some things, sure, but that's expected. Some events deleted I thought should have been in it, yet I believe people who haven't read the book won't be completely lost. (For example, when they mention putting their names in extra times for the Reaping, they didn't say what this entailed or why someone would increase their chances of being picked, on purpose). Also, Rue's death was changed. In the book, she was killed in cold blood and deliberately with Katniss as a witness. In the movie, it was portrayed as being something of an accident (still sad though). I think the original would have been more effective. Also, the muttations were just another threat, and they didn't have the other Tribute's eyes, which I thought was a nice inclusion in the book since it upped the creep factor. (Are you thinking "LOLWUT" yet?)

-I also had a hard time hearing a few lines. They were mumbled or maybe that was my theater's sound system.

-They left out Katniss's beauty team, but Cinna was there. Not much, but he was there.

However, the movie did show scenes with President Snow in his garden, so we see where those white roses come from (from the second and third books). We also got to see how the Game controllers worked. I thought these scenes were creepy because the workers were just so calm and/or excited when new threats got in the Tributes' way, and didn't consider that they were playing around with kids' lives.

-The settings and costumes were pretty neat. The Capitol citizens looked like they were attending a perpetual Elton John concert in those outfits. >.>

-Woody Harrelson was cool. Drunk, but cool. 8D

-I did enjoy Katniss's and Peeta's interactions more in the movie. She seemed more sympathetic as opposed to her bitchiness in the book (she had good reason for being hard, but I just liked her more as a person in the movie).

- It was pretty violent. They could only show so much in a teens' movie, and most of the time, the camera cuts away before we see impact. But blood does spatter and spray, cuts are deep and we see dead bodies (one scene showed a guy getting beat in the head with a rock multiple times. He was covered by his assailant so we couldn't see him, but we could tell what was going on. I thought that was good enough and no more needed to be shown). Some people will call for more graphic scenes, and I'm usually one of them, but I think the filmmakers made good calls on what was shown.

-Despite knowing who would die, and when and how, I was still tense when watching. The atmosphere was just that good.

The Hunger Games is no Harry Potter (HP has a massive world explained well, imo), but it's entertaining enough. I think it'll keep someone's interest. So catch it some time, even if just on DVD.
+~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~+

Since Being Human s4 is done (goodbye, Annie), let's see what else is coming up for me. :3 (Just making a list for myself, really).
Prometheus (loose "prequel" to Alien/Aliens)
The Hobbit (movie)
Nightrunner: Casket of Souls (book)
Silversun Pickups (CD)
Metalocalypse s4 (cartoon)
Emilie Autumn's F.L.A.G. (CD)
Devil's Carnival (movie)
Sherlock (both American and BBC) released in May on DVD - and BBC's s3 will come in 2013. That pesky 2012 apocalypse won't get in its way. Sherly will make it cry and run away in shame, because he's a dick like that.
DW s7 later this year (and the 50th anniversary stuff, whatever that may be)
+~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~+
I have stuff to show, but that's for later. I need to work more on my goddesses. Time's running out! D:

3 comments:

  1. Doesn't sound like something I would watch considering I like fluffy bunnies and all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Er, I like fluffy bunnies, y'know? >.> I saw some at the flea market and couldn't keep my hands off them.

      Delete
  2. Noooo, I've been spoilered. D: Just kidding. XD If I do see this on a movie channel or DVD (and somehow remember all these details that have no context), I'll just be interested to see how it all plays out. I'm interested in seeing the Elton John-esque costumes. 8D (But darn, for a moment, from the preview on my dashboard, I thought Alex Kingston was in the movie! ;_; April Fools?)

    Prometheus sounds cool... I haven't seen any of the recent Aliens movies, though, because I live under a rock. 8D (Or a nest of owls.)

    What is Devil's Carnival? (I suppose I could Google. XD)

    I'm looking forward to May's PBS run of Sherlock. And you already know I'm looking forward to more Who. I like your idea of Sherlock scaring away the apocalypse. Though I think Weird Al already did that with his latest album cover. 8D

    ReplyDelete